Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Yoko, oh no, oh no-o

So, having plowed through vast tracts of medieval and Restoration literature, I thought, hey! why not do some practice sections of the Lit GRE? So, I timed myself for two 20-minute sections of about 35 questions each. I got about 67% of the questions right.

I made two discoveries, though:
1) Swinburne referred to Chapman as the "high priest of Homer." Keats wrote another poem about Chapman before he died--like nearly every other Romantic poet--at a ridiculously young age.
2) I am smrt.

To study:
- Greek mythology
- the Romantics, and who wrote about whom
- 20th-century Afro-American lit
- Donne
- transitive vs. intransitive verbs
- Samuel Johnson
- 18th-century novels (esp. Richardson, Fielding)

I have to wonder how germane this whole exercise is to the identification of suitable grad school applicants by admissions committees. Surely, after this exam is done, a good half of what I've memorized will drift away like so much dandelion fluff. Or, it will all be superceded by "margaritas = good" and the romantic plots of "Grey's Anatomy" in my pile of mental index cards, unless I someday read all these works in full, thereby settling them firmly into memory.

But I still want to do well. Of course.

In other news, Manfriend bought tickets to this summer's Pitchfork Music Festival! And Neko Case's new album, Fox Confessor Brings the Flood! Damn, it's good. Really, really, really good. Thanks, Manfriend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home