Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Back in the saddle, with relish.

So, all those "how to be a blogger" pieces go on and on about how you shouldn't let your blog lie fallow for too long so that your readers don't lose interest...not much of a concern to me, as I don't have readers. Well, maybe two or three. I'm doing this for you, lonely readers!

This blog isn't an entirely altruistic endeavor, though: I don't have enough creative outlets in my life right now, unless you count cooking--which I don't, at least not these days, when dinner consists of foods from cans and boxes. But I am insanely busy, and perhaps overcommitted. I'm spending tons of time as a union officer trying to prepare for collective bargaining (fair contract by March 31, or we walk!), and, as the treasurer, I'm preparing various financial reports for those government bastards. It's all very interesting still, and quite cool to see how everything happens here at my agency.

I'm also studying for the Literature GRE, which is unfortunately scheduled for the very day upon which we may call a strike: April 1st. I cannot discuss this happy coincidence without a hysterical waver in my voice, though a rueful laugh and a glass of wine usually calms me back down. Studying for this test has been unexpectedly pleasurable, actually, which I take as a good omen. Surely it will be no worse than the LSAT. Strange thing: the LSAT studying actually held my interest for a good two months, due mostly, I think, to the weird satisfaction of learning how to game the system of standardized testing: Y'know, the trick is knowing how to take the test, not actually knowing an iota anything useful or beautiful.

With the GRE, however, I get to read Milton, Eliot, Poe, Marvell, Woolf--not necessarily as deeply as I would prefer, but enough to keep me in mind of what is good about this decision to go to grad school.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home