Monday, March 27, 2006

One less burr under my saddle

So, I took a full-length practice Lit GRE yesterday: 230 questions in 2 hours and 50 minutes.

Sweet sassy molassey, that's a load o' literature. Somewhere around #150, weariness crept into my resolve, a feeling similar to that of driving from Colorado to Iowa and suddenly realizing that you've got all of Nebraska yet ahead. I made that journey by car approximately a zillion times during college, and I knew that when that feeling came upon me, it was time for a giant fountain Diet Coke. Ahhh...

Crisp refreshment 'twas not to be mine yesterday. So I soldiered on, and did much, much better than I had expected. So much better, in fact, that I feel unburdened and confident for the exam on Saturday. It's not an impossibility! Although I did misidentify passages by Donne and Whitman, two of the most distinctive writers EVER. Seriously. I figured, hey, those answers are too easy; surely the correct answers are Walter Pater and H.D., respectively. I told Manfriend (also an English nerd) about this, and he just laffed and laffed. I guess you had to be there.

Things I still don't know very well:
- Greek and Roman mythology
- any grammatic definitions beyond your basic verb, noun, adjective, adverb
- what the fuck a "lamia" is (I'd like to think it's what the popular labia call the uncool labia, but that's probably wrong)

1 Comments:

Blogger Diversey said...

Lamias are those snake chicks that you have to fight in Final Fantasy.

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home